Thursday, February 10, 2005

(Belated) Music Update

It's been a while since I've provided a music update. That's because it's been a while since I've done much in the way of music. When I was sick last week, one of the symptoms was painful joints in the fingers, so I couldn't even practice piano on the few occasions that I did feel get enough to get up from the recliner.



But I do have good news.



George has been tuned! George has been tuned! Hear, hear! George has been tuned!



He sounds good. He'll never be a grand, but he sounds good for a 30-year-old Kimball Console.



Now, for piano and composition activity updates.



PIANO. Another reason I haven't updated is because my piano practices have been very painstaking of late. I mean, one can only talk about contrary-motion scales for so long before one's audience falls asleep. But really, the focus of my practices for the past couple of weeks has been learning to play (and improve) the contrary-motion scales and contrary-motion arpeggios in all keys, major and minor. I can play the notes in the Dett piece, though it's far from perfect and not near up to speed. The Mozart is sounding good and doesn't seem to have suffered too much from my near-week of not practicing.



To be honest, I'm anxious to move on to another piece. I feel like I have this Mozart in my repertoire, and I'm looking forward to doing something else. Deborah things I should wait until I have the Dett going a bit better, and I agree with her. But I'm feeling a bit impatient about it.



THEORY. Theory? Am I taking theory? We've had several cancelled appointments over the last few weeks, due scheduling difficulties and illnesses on both our parts. I'm working on an analysis of my Mozart piece, so I'm hoping that we can discuss that for most of the "lesson" this week. Hopefully I'll soon be back on a regular schedule with theory lessons. When we miss a few lessons, then my "homework" tends to get moved to the back burner.



I've met with a lot of frustration lately at not having being able to devote more time to theory and particularly composition.



LISTENING. Lots of Dvorak lately. Thanks to Pei Yun for the recommendations.



Time for lunch.

3 comments:

  1. Music theory. Ick. Learning it is such a pain in the derriere, but it truly makes you a better musician. I studied music my first two years in college, but changed majors for various reasons. I hated the theory classes when I took them, but now I am so grateful for them. I'm learning to play guitar now, and because I know my music theory and about chords, keys, modulations, and analysis (I-IV-V-V7) progressions, all I need to do is learn a few chords, find songs that have that progression, and I'm in business!

    Just wanted to "chime in". Thanks!

    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also recommend Dvorak's Op.55 song collection "The Gypsy Melodies" either in Czech by Magdalena Kozena or in German by Anne Sofie von Otter.

    Most probably, you have heard the fourth song, Als die alte Mutter. Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Waterfall. I don't know why, but I felt happy for George that he has been tuned. =)

    I suppose playing scales will be more pleasant now that George is happily tuned.

    ReplyDelete