What I Learned Today at Lunchtime

Ha ha! Hee hee! Ho ho! I spent my lunch hour reading the chapter in my music theory workbook on secondary diminished seventh chords. How very exciting they are!! I think some of these show up in my Mozart piece, but I'm not sure. Can't wait to get home and check! And find the "secondary diminished seventh" examples in my Music for Analysis book!



I know I'm just a novice, and I know I'm probably getting all excited over things that are but common knowledge for the more seasoned music scholars out there. But there is definitely a certain joy in being a novice. Kind of like being a northbound AT thru-hiker just making their way through Georgia. You're just barely beginning, and the distance ahead is daunting ... but at the same time, there is the expectation that so many adventures are waiting just around the bend.



La la la la la life is good!



Oh, I was trying to understand how these things resolve and accidentally came up with an algebraic-looking something in the process. It's kind of confusing because i and vii°7 refer to scale degrees & chords, and x can refer to any scale degree.



I (or i) of x = vii°7 root of (x + 1)



Does that make sense? The "I" of iii, for example, is the root of the vii°7 of IV. If you're in C major, then E-natural (iii in C major) is the root of the vii° chord of F (IV in C major).



Or something like that. I was never very good at math. Or music theory, for that matter.



The "equation" is actually an unnecessarily complicated way of saying something very simple. But isn't that what algebraic-looking things do? I still think it's neat-o mosquito, mainly because I haven't written anything that algebraic-looking since I took Math for Dummies in high school.



Guess I'll go back to my non-number-centered day job. :-)))))

Comments

Popular Posts