Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Jump Start

"Self," I said this morning, "I've come to the conclusion that we need a jump-start. A tune-up. A new leaf needs to be turned over. Or something like that."



So. I'm thinking about working through The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. It's basically a 12-week workbook for making your creative pursuits more of a priority. Actually, it's touted as a path to "creative recovery" for "blocked artists." I'm plenty creative these days, but it's been a challenge lately to make time for music and (particularly) writing. So I'm thinking about doing this and would love to find a person or two to commit to working through it with me. It might be fun, even though it's a lot of work.



Admittedly, the book is a bit too new-agey for me here and there. I ignore a lot of that aspect. I find that I benefit most from the non-new-agey, rigourous "work" aspects of it--the Morning Pages and Artist Dates.



Any takers? More info about the book is available at the links above. Please leave a note in the comments or e-mail me at infpeace at gmail dot com if you're interested in working through this book with me.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Waterfall, I have that book and did work through some of it a few years ago. Right now, I'm way to busy with my youngest son's wedding this spring to have much time to pick it back up, but I would enjoy talking with you about it after you've done some work in it.

    Don't know if you know that I write poetry and journal also. I have a stack of notebooks, too. I've not written very much in the last few busy years. It definitely does take some quiet time to let the muse come and sit on your shoulder to whisper ideas into our minds and hearts. Anyway, good luck with your exercise!
    Swallowtail

    ReplyDelete