Friday, January 28, 2005

... How "Awful Tune" Made Us Famous ...

I'm at work and just learned that the guy down the hall has had the latest version of the software I've needed for some time now. Meanwhile I've been told that it's not available and have therefore been delayed in my work on this project for almost a month.

Grumble, grumble, grumble.

I try not to complain about my job on this blog, for two reasons: (1) it's actually a pretty good job, all things considered, and (2) for all I know, my boss could be reading this right now (Hi, Boss!).

For my theory lesson this afternoon, I've completed an 8-measure piano arrangement of an awful tune from the workbook. I downloaded Finale Notebook (music notation software) recently but had never really used it, so I transcribed my chicken-scratch arrangement into Finale. I titled it "Awful Tune." So when it printed, it showed this professional-looking sheet music with "AWFUL TUNE" at the top. It's kind of funny.

So then I fooled with Finale some more and had the violin "sing" the melody with piano accompaniment. It sounded OK--not the way I imagined it would sound, but I think that's partly because a Real Person wasn't playing it.

Now, if George and I ever manage to make "Awful Tune" sound beautiful, I'll be sure to post it on this blog. Maybe it'll be a hit. A best-seller in the music world. Eternal and everlasting. Our claim to fame. Everyone will love us. George and I will be featured together on Oprah. The music critics will fall to their knees. Grown men will burst into tears of longing. All because of a simple little piece of music titled "Awful Tune."

Hm. OK, so maybe that won't happen.

Then again, maybe it will ...

TGIF.

1 comment:

  1. Energizing blog. It blew me away and I loved your
    site. when I have the time to surf the net, i try
    finding blogs as good as your site.
    Please go over my blog.

    ReplyDelete