Monday, January 10, 2005

2004 Reflections

I found this set of questions at About Last Night. Feel free to answer them yourself in the comments section, if Blogger allows long comments.



1. What did you do in 2004 that you’d never done before? (1) I took a writing workshop. (2) I started lessons in music theory and composition. (3) I started blogging.



2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? My New Year's resolution was to write more, and yes, I did that. I haven't decided on a resolution yet for 2005.



3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No.



4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes. Cleo the cat.



5. What countries did you visit? None.



6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004? (1) Some sense of fulfillment in my day job. (2) More income from my writing and music.



7. What date from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory? None, that I can remember.



8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? The publication of 50 Hikes in Louisiana.



9. What was your biggest failure? Didn't complete The Artist's Way ... again. Didn't finish my "Surface Tension" essay to submit for publication. Didn't hike much at all. (I know, those aren't really "failures." But they are things I wish I'd done.)



10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nothing physical, other than a few allergy and sinus nasties here and there. I smashed my thumb with a 25-pound weight at the health club. And the usual Depression lurked and settled in whenever I wasn’t looking.



11. What was the best thing you bought? (1) Shipment of George the Piano from Louisiana to my house. (2) Music theory lessons. (3) Subscription to naxos.com.



12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My husband's. He put up with a lot of crap from me during our first year of marriage.



13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? My husband's. But everything is fine now.



14. Where did most of your money go? House payments, paying off the credit cards, GA$ for the daily commute.



15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Bach. Music Theory. Piano.



16. What song/album will always remind you of 2004? (1) Bach, Mass in B Minor, because I was addicted to it for most of 2004. (2) Probably the Chopin Nocturne in Bb minor because I learned it in 2004 and have played it endlessly ever since.



17. Compared to this time last year, are you:



• Happier or sadder? Somewhat sadder.

• Thinner or fatter? A little fatter.

• Richer or poorer? Richer.



18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Looking for a job more suited to my interests and talents. Playing with children.



19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Surfing the internet. Watching Law and Order.



20. How did you spend Christmas 2004? In Louisiana, with family.



21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with? Probably my husband. And my mom.



22. Did you fall in love in 2004? I lived in a perpetual state of being in love in 2004.



23. How many one-night stands in this last year? None.



24. What was your favorite TV program? It would have to have been "Law and Order," (and SVU) since that's just about the only TV program I watched.



25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I can't think of anyone that I hate. There are certainly people that I like less, though, now that I’ve gotten to know them. And even more people that I like more.



26. What was the best book(s) you read? (1) The Clearing, by Tim Gautreaux. (2) Property, by Valerie Martin.



27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Geez ... I don't even know where to start. It was a year full of musical discoveries for me, particularly in music theory.



28. What did you want and get? Proficiency in playing Chopin's Bb-minor nocturne.



29. What did you want and not get? A completed essay to submit for publication. A little box for storing good recipes.



30. What were your favorite films of this year? Napoleon Dynamite (just about the only film I watched, other than things I rented)



31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 34 and went to lunch with the hubster because he had to work that night.



32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? An immeasurably more satisfying job. More time in the woods, less time in the cubicle.



33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004? My job requires me to dress boringly. So I usually wore variations of what I call my chocolate-point Siamese Cat outfit: brown sweater, khakis, brown socks, brown shoes. Yawn. I also got my hair cut short in 2004, for the first time in a long time. But it's grown back out by now. I ran out of eyeliner in July and haven’t replaced it yet.



34. What kept you sane? Piano. This blog. J.S. Bach. The Hubster.



35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Benjamin Bratt on the Law and Order reruns.



36. What political issue stirred you the most? The election. Annoyance at Bush-haters. (Is that a political issue?)



37. Who did you miss? My Louisiana friends. Amy Kellam. Mom-D.



38. Who was the best new person you met? A beautiful little girl named Savannah.



39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004.
I need drugs. And I’m not as dumb or un-talented as I imagine myself.



40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.



“January through December” –Ronnie Milsap, “It Was Almost Like a Song.”



Hee hee. I couldn’t resist.

No comments: