Monday, December 6, 2004

Of Rainy Days, Mondays, and Magic Compositional Poopy

Yep, it's a rainy day and a Monday here in Cubicle Land.



I don't have much to write about today because I'm behind in my work (thank you, Mr. Sinus Infection) and have some catching up to do. Also, I spent most of the weekend in one of three places: in bed, on the couch, and at the piano. Some good things did result from the restful weekend, however. Here are some of the things I managed to accomplish:



1. Finished reading Lewis Agonistes and started (finally) The Da Vinci Code.



2. Spent hours upon hours of quality time with the cats.



3. Worked really hard on the Allegretto of the Mozart piece.



4. Took more notes on the novel and am ready to piece together Chapter 1 and part of Chapter 2.



5. Took some really good notes for the piano essay draft.



6. Harmonized the melody exercises for Music Theory and started working on a composition that kind of flowered from one of the exercises.



Writing--whether essays, fiction, or music--is hard work, though. How my sluggish brain rebels against it! It would much rather laze on the couch and watch reruns of "Law and Order: SVU." Once I really start writing, however, I don't want to stop. This was particularly true with composition this weekend. I half-heartedly got to work harmonizing the one-note melodies on Saturday evening, but then something magical happened. I came up with these gorgeous accompaniments. New Age-y, yes, but gorgeous. I know, I should be more modest, but I was as flabbergasted as my parents were when I called them and played the arrangements over the telephone.



It was kind of like a toddler being amazed and excited at the fact that it has just created a poopy. "Mommy, Mommy, look what I made!"



I stayed up till midnight, playing with chords, writing down my arrangements, analyzing what I'd written. Finally, I wrote it all down in "block-chord format," and it sounded boring. But when I played it as a piano piece and not a choral-sounding thing ... wow.



Everything I write sounds really jazzy. I love major sevenths, and ninths, and thirteenths. And secondary dominants. Those are fun. I feel like Harry Potter with a magic wand ... I can say something like, "Secondarius Domino!" and TA-DAH! this beautiful music just happens.



Yes, I'm probably just in the novice stage. This wonderful Music Theory Magic Wand is making it seem like everything I touch can turn to gold. (Ninthus Chordus! Circlio Progressio!) A year from now, after I've learned a lot more, maybe I'll be jaded and tired and smile fondly at the "good old days" when I was so new to all of this and nearly overwhelmed (in a good way) by the basics of music theory and the potential for composition.



But for now, I'm going to enjoy it. I like this.

No comments: