Wednesday, December 1, 2004

I'm Starting a Project

It's a word-learnin' project. You'd think that someone with an M.A. in English, someone who has taught writing, someone who has written and published a freakin' book, would have a decent, wide-ranging vocabulary.



Nope. Not particularly.



I actually scored better on the Math portions of the SAT, ACT, and GRE than on the Verbal.



I don't know how I've managed to get through life, to pass myself off as a relatively educated and intelligent person, and still know so few words. Seriously. I can hardly read a thing without going to my favorite book, The American Heritage Dictionary. Lots of times I'll look up words that I think I know, that I can figure out in context, but am not 100-percent certain about. Or I'm burning with curiosity to know the etymology.



So, a new and somewhat occasional feature of this blog will be a Word of the Day. Or Word(s) of the Day. They'll be words that I came across in my daily reading of books, blogs, articles, and commentary, or my daily listening of NPR or a Teaching Company lecture. I'll give the word, its meaning, and what I think it meant ... or, at least, why I found it necessary to look it up.



Hope y'all enjoy this little project!

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Etymology was actually an English elective in my highschool. I took it because I needed an extra English elective because I spent the first semester of my senior year in France, and I LOVED that class. I still have my etymology textbook, in fact. One of the most fascinating subjects to me is word origin and meaning.

Tingly!

Waterfall said...

Etymology? A high school elective?!? You lucky, lucky woman! Not even my highbrow high school offered etymology. I wish it had, though--I definitely would have taken it!

Crawdaddy79 said...

I came up with "spooftastic" today. I felt pretty clever afterwards.