Tuesday, December 7, 2004

Does This Make Me a Bad Person?

I've been sitting here at work for four hours, forcing myself to focus on work, thinking, "At 12:30 I'm going to go practice and work on composition. Three more hours ... two more hours ... 45 more minutes ..."



Then the nice people at work asked me if I wanted to go to lunch with them. I said no. I told them I needed to go practice piano. I said I needed to go.



Now, if I were a conservatory student or a professional musician, that would be one thing. Then I would have to practice. But I'm just a Cubicle Dweller. No one is making me do this. There is no deadline hovering the near future. There are no recitals planned, ever. I don't need to practice.



I think I'm probably rude and unfriendly because, well, even though I don't need to practice ... I still choose piano over socializing with my fellow Cubicle Dwellers nearly every single day.



I'll try to be more social in the future. Because I like the people at work. I just live for my lunch-hour practice sessions. That's all.

3 comments:

  1. You're not being rude, you're just passionate! They understand and if not, then they obviously have nothing they're passionate about... You keep being "anti-social" and work your way up to Mozart. You can eat lunch with them after your performance at Carnegie Hall!

    Peace yo,
    Cus'n LaVronica

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, well, when I'm big and famous and all and hafta go to New York to grace everyone with my purty lil tunes, can I stay with you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, of course! You can even stay with me before you're famous.

    ReplyDelete