Beethovachian Composiliterary Pianupdate

There. I condensed the essence of my update into a pithy three-word title.



IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Tomorrow is the birthday of one Ludwig van Beethoven. I'm trying to figure out what I'll do to celebrate, in addition to the obvious all-Beethoven 24-hour music fest that I'll give my good ear. If anyone has any suggestions for other celebratory activities, or has their own Beethoven-birthday rituals they'd like to share, the Comments feature is just a click or two away!



ONWARD TO MUSIC ...



The hubster was gone for several hours last night, so I spent the evening with my beloved, bejowled, and bewigged one. Went through chorales, playing them, looking for instances of how he resolves seventh chords (and all their inversions) and tritones.



I do declare, sometimes I am so completely happy that I can read music. That I can just open up to a Bach chorale and play it. Sometimes, if I think about the fact that I have this skill, it nearly reduces me to cheesy tears of gratitude. Really. Then I get even cheesier and become tearfully grateful that my family had a piano, and that my parents sent me to piano lessons. Cheesily, tearfully grateful.



After basking in Bach for a while, I moved on to my latest Theory assignment: writing and harmonizing "answer" melodies to the "question" melodies I worked on last week. That was harder than I thought it would be. There are just so many possibilities. And I keep trying to break the rules. It's easy to just sit down and improvise on a tune, but it's hard to do it by the rules. And I still don't know the rules well enough (yet) to be able to break them.



ONWARD TO MY LITERARY LIFE ...



I'm reading The Da Vinci Code, so I don't know if you can really call me "literary" these days. The Da Vinci Code started out mediocre(ly?) and has gotten progressively worse. I'm tempted not to finish it. My poor brain is crying out for something more stimulating. Heck, it would be happy with a mere interesting character--something this book fails, sadly, to provide.



And it's a best-seller. Everyone's reading it, and everyone seems to love it. I do not understand.



No wonder I don't fit in with most people. Grumble, grumble.



Anyway, The Da Vinci Code is not a good book (sorry, mom). At least, it's not in my opinion. I'm going to go ahead and finish it, though, and maybe I'll write a review then. Hopefully I'll finish reading it soon because I'm ready to read something good.



ONWARD TO PIANO ...



I have a delicious lunch hour ahead of me: an appetizer of scales and arpeggios, a main course of Mozart, and a dessert of Chopin. I always have Chopin for dessert. He's almost as good as chocolate. Maybe better.

Comments

Popular Posts