Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Venting

I am so mad. Hoppin' mad. Fist-clenchin' mad.



Remember a couple of weeks ago when I was having my big dizzy spells? Well, I went to the doctor and she referred me to an ENT. The appointment was supposed to be this morning.



Well, it's been very busy at work (the last-minute pre-holiday rush), and we're going to be travelling for part of Thanksgiving, so I decided I'd rather wait and reschedule the appointment for after the first of the year.



So I called yesterday morning around 7:45 or 8:00 and cancelled today's apointment. Of course, I politely apologized for cancelling at the last minute. Cancellation accomplished, I hung up the phone and went on with my work.



Well, today, I got an angry phone call from the office of the doctor who referred me, asking why I hadn't gone to my appointment.



"Um ... I called them early yesterday morning to cancel."



"Well, they didn't have it in their computer. You'd better call them and straighten it out."



So I called them and talked to "Lisa," explaining that I'd called the morning before to cancel. "Hmm," she replied, "We don't have record of that. I don't know WHO you must have talked to." She said that several times in the course of the conversation. I could tell she didn't believe that I had called. Then she said, rather bitchily, "Well, if you want to make another appointment, your DOCTOR has to refer you again."



If I'd attempted to reschedule yesterday when I called to cancel, they wouldn't have said that my doctor needed to re-refer me. They would have just rescheduled.



Grr. If I were being dishonest and had gotten "caught," that would be one thing. But the thing is, I did the responsible thing and cancelled the appointment in advance, and now it's being assumed that I'm lying because whoever took my phone call apparently failed to log the cancellation in the computer--whether it was her carelessness or a glitchy computer, I don't know.



I don't know why this is upsetting me so much. It's just like in 5th grade when Mrs. Woodbury accused me of cheating when I really wasn't cheating. No amount of crying or protesting my innocence could convince her. It didn't matter that I was just about the most goody-two-shoesy fifth-grader that ever existed.



I'll be the first to admit that I'm no saint, but it would be nice if people would give me the benefit of the doubt, particularly since my past behavior doesn't show me to be one of those people who cheat on stupid math tests or fail to cancel their appointments and then don't show up.



Grr, grr, grr.



P.S. I just talked to my primary care physician's nurse and she was very sweet and ensured me that they believe me. So at least someone does.



P.P.S. I'm so glad the holidays are almost here. I need a break.



P.M.S. I'm feeling a little hyper-sensitive today.

1 comment:

  1. I believe you too.

    It must have been annoying for someone to doubt your integrity when you have been responsible?

    Have a good break meantime.

    ReplyDelete