Monday, October 25, 2004

Piano Saves Woman From Utter Madness ... Again

OK, I'm back. The morning was a morning of frustrations, from both the inside and out. Inside, I'm having to deal with my little foray into melancholia. Outside, my computer keeps freezing up on me every few minutes and our IT person "has more important things to do right now, so please just be patient." Hmph. So, rather than continue to beat my head against the computer and risk cracking my glare screen, I headed over to the piano for a long lunch of music notes.



Ahhh.



That piano greets me like a long-lost lover. I walk into the piano room and get a warmth in my heart when I see it there, waiting for me. All the frustrations of a few minutes before just dissipate in a sense of calm.



Ahhh.



No worries about work, war, politics, deadlines. Just focus on relaxing my thumb while playing a c# minor scale.



Ahhh.



Play the simple Suzuki pieces. Listen to how clear and beautiful they sound on this good piano.



Ahhh.



Play just the soprano part of the Bach Sinfonia. Slowly. Really listen to it. Notice how I'm really not holding the keys down long enough from measure to measure. Practice doing that. It makes such a difference. How did I not notice that before?



Play the alto part, and notice where I'm rushing through the trills and turns. Don't try to pass over them. Enjoy them. Sink into them.



Ahhh.



Play it all together now, right hand AND left hand. Hold the notes, sink into the trills and turns. The left hand part sounds good because I gave it extra-special attention over the weekend.



Ahhh. Now I'm playin'.



It's potty time. I drink waaay too much water. Bathroom break.

Back to the piano room. It's still waiting for me, patiently. The calm overtakes me again.



No war, no politics, no work, no deadlines are allowed in this Inner Sanctum of mine.



And now it's time for Mozart. Measures 34, 35, and 44. The cadenza-like sections. Drill them AGAIN. Slow, then fast, then in starts and stops. In clumps upon clumps. Start on the first note, then start on the second, then the third. Notice how the different "clumps" of notes sound. Now, play it fast and even.



Ahhh. Perfect. Really. Try it again.



Jump up from the piano bench and yell "woo-hoo!", knowing that no one is listening. "I did it!"



Play through the Mozart. Still not perfect, but I definitely "have it." Most of it from now on will be refining and perfecting.



Now, for Chopin.



Chopin sounds muddy and amorphous. I've ignored him lately because Mozart and Bach have had my attention. I need to spend extra-special time with Chopin tonight.



Pack up the music and head back to work. Secret Magical Artist Life is over for a bit. Back to Nerdy Cubicle-Dwelling Tech Writer existence.



I hope my hearing comes back soon. Everything sounds a tad muddy when my ears are stopped up. And I still can't find my hearing aid.



Ahhh. I don't care, for now. I'm back at work and MUCH more relaxed than I was an hour and a half ago.



Yes, I love piano. It's my friend.

No comments: