Wednesday, October 13, 2004

No, I Do Not Work For Naxos.com

My favorite website is naxos.com. You have to pay an annual fee, but it is well worth it for me. I spend my days at work listening to all kinds of wonderful music, from Josquin Desprez to Palestrina to Bach to Mozart to Liszt to Debussy to Ives to Duke Ellington to Rodgers and Hammerstein to Benjamin Britten to Charles Ives to Howard Hanson.



It's something different every day, even if every day does begin with the Mass in B Minor. Some days I'm in the mood for Renaissance-era Catholic mass music, and other days I want nothing but Oklahoma! and South Pacific and The Sound of Music. Some days I'll listen to some random composer that I've never heard before. What a thrill when I actually LIKE something new, something from the late 20th or 21st century, with no introduction to it at all! Sometimes the modern stuff takes too much concentration to listen and work simultaneously, so I end up having to switch back to a previous century. And oftentimes I just listen to the "tired old warhorses"--Mozart symphonies, Strauss waltzes, Sousa marches, Christmas songs, Beethoven's Fifth, etc. I don't care how tired or old or horsey they are. There's a reason these pieces are still around and are still popular.



When I was little and my parents would punish me, they would send me to my room.



Oooh, big punishment. Four hours later, they'd come looking for me, only to find me in some other universe, listening to my Hansel and Gretel story album, the one that uses parts of Humperdinck's score from his Hansel and Gretel opera. Or The Nutcracker Suite. Or, of course, "Rhinestone Cowboy." (!)



Some punishment, huh?



When they came to get me, I'd usually just opt to stay in my room.



So now it's like I'm being punished ALL DAY LONG, and it's wonderful. If you have a mindless (or not-so-mindless) job that allows you to listen to music on your headphones all day long, I recommend purchasing a year's worth of naxos.com. It's something like $20/year. It is mind-expanding. It is soul-enriching. It makes me look forward to coming to work every day. Of course, I'm lucky to have a job in which I can focus on the music and still work pretty efficiently at the same time. Ah, multi-tasking.



But really, it's like getting a brain massage. Writing and music all at once, even if the writing is just technical writing. I feel like I could float away.



Once I've moved on in life, I'll look back on my naxos.com listening days with much fondness. I am so happy to be able to experience the miracle of music, and in so many ways--as a listener, a pianist, an aspiring composer.



In fact, one reason I want to be a composer is that I want to be able to bring joy and wonder into other people's lives with music that I compose. Just the way other composers have done for me.



I want to do the same with writing also, but that's "a whole 'nother" story.



Back to Strauss. And software documentation. Oh, the secret joys of cubicle life. No one else at this office has the slightest clue of the sheer ecstasy I'm experiencing right now.



Life is soooo good sometimes.

4 comments:

  1. I don't subscribe to naxos.com but I have friends who do. Heard it's nice. From your description, naxos.com seems to have some of my favourite music. I am a little tempted to try naxos.com....But for the moment, I shall stay content with the local classical radio station in Singapore.
    And I hope maybe one of these days, I could get to hear your music compositions somewhere. Looking forward. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a long way from music compositions yet, but I'm learning. I've written a few songs for piano (pop-type songs), but want to learn to write for other instruments. I'll keep ya posted if/when I happen to write something worth listening to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Waterfall, I look forward to your post regarding your composition. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your information on technical writing. I just bookmarked your site and will be back regulalry to keep on top of it. Please check out my blog on technical writing exposed - I'd really appreciate it

    ReplyDelete