My Memory Has Failed Me

How utterly embarrassing. I usually don't forget important events like this.



For probably the last 10 years, I've thought of October 26 as "Sting Day" in my life because it's the day I saw Sting in concert at the LSU Assembly Center in Baton Rouge. It was 1987, and he was on his "Nothing Like the Sun" tour.



Or so I thought.



Apparently, according to my trusty internet sources , Sting performed in Baton Rouge on October 26, 1985, when on his Dream of the Blue Turtles tour. It wasn't until March 12, 1988 that he came back to Louisiana on the "Nothing Like the Sun" tour, and then he was at the UNO Lakefront Arena in New Orleans.



My memory was off by more than two years. Old age must really be kicking in.



I do remember the New Orleans concert, though. I went to that one with Mary and Andye. I remember, because it was on a weeknight and my mom wouldn't have let me go, so it was a classic case of "sneaking out." Good concert, but not as good as the one in Baton Rouge. Even though we did have 17th row seats. Afterward, we went to the French Quarter and drank daiquiris because we could.



No wonder my head is going to explode. So much random useless information from the past. I went to the Baton Rouge concert in 1985, by the way, with my brother Ghent and my friend Rebecca. And I think Ghent's friends Milt and Johann were with us, too.



Is that strange or what? To live in late 20th-century America--in south Louisiana, of all places--and have teenage friends named Milton and Johann?



I just KNOW that Sting has something to do with October 26, 1987, in my memory. Perhaps that's the day I bought the "Nothing Like the Sun" album and stayed up all night listening to it, thinking, "This is the greatest album of the year. Perhaps one of the greatest albums ever. This is incredible."



I'll have to dig up my old journals and see what, exactly, it was that occured on October 26, 1987. Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular Posts