Wednesday, October 6, 2004

A Life Measured in Semesters

[navel gaze to follow]



OK, so I measure my life in semesters. Even though I haven't been a full-time student since grad school in the mid-90s. I just love school. Or loved it, I guess I should say. I love to take classes. When I'm not taking classes in school, I take one-on-one lessons when I can get 'em. And there are always imaginary classes. Yes, I take imaginary classes. Complete with lesson plans. I can't help it. I'm an autodidact. I love to learn. I get high on the learning experience.



Here's an example: I came home from music theory the other day, practically walking six inches above the ground. Why? Because we did ear-training. I got to listen to chords and make a (mildly educated) guess about which chord in the scale was being played, and what inversion it was in. I wasn't particularly great at it, since I'd never done anything like this before. But I was better than I thought (hey, I don't tell people I have a "good ear" for nothing!). And the prospect of having a lot to learn just sent me sailing on a learning-high.



Right now I'm taking several "classes," none of them imaginary at this time:



Applied Piano



Music Theory



Bach and the High Baroque



Poetry (every other week with a bunch of poetry lovers. We sit and read poems and discuss them. It's so much fun.)



Science Fiction (the "Let's Talk About It series at the liberry ... this one is a challenge because I'm not much of a science fiction fan)



1 John Precepts (a once-a-week class with a bunch of people who know a lot more than I do and seem to have far fewer questions)



Technical Writing 303 (If I think of my job as a college experiential course, it seems more a lot more exciting)



P.E. (Those are my workouts. I cut that class all the time and would probably get an F if I graded myself.)



No wonder I'm in Overwhelmedland.



I can't wait until January because I'll FINALLY be a state resident and will be able to take a REAL college course or two and not have to pay out-of-state tuition.



Funny ... I won't buy new clothes until my own clothes are threadbare and practically falling off. I won't buy new furniture, ever. I won't buy CDs. I won't buy books, even, if I can get something at the library these days. I do not like to spend my money on things. Not even food and shelter. But I'll drop a couple hundred or more for a class.



And I'll take up residence in Overwhelmedland if it means I can study and learn about stuff.



Dan wants me to take Web Design at the local community college in January. I want to take Fiction Writing. Hopefully I'll be able to do both.



Then in 2006, I'm going to take Long Distance Hiking 303: The Pacific Crest Trail. Dan's going to take that one with me.



Yes, I was one of those children who had imaginary friends. And clearly, I may have spent too much time with them. But they sure were fun. I keep hoping they'll show up in one of my imaginary classes next semester, or perhaps the semester following.



Ya nevvah know ...

3 comments:

Andrew said...

I took a science fiction class back in college. We read and discussed "I, Robot", "Rendezvous with Rama", "The Lathe of Heaven", "The Sentinel", "Who Goes There", and "Solaris".

-Drew, husband of cousin Stacey who is the sister of Cousin Tally.

Waterfall said...

Weird. "Rendezvous with Rama" was a question (answer?) on "Jeopardy!" the other night. We're only reading one of the books you listed: "I, Robot." It was OK. I liked some stories better than others. I think "Robbie" was my favorite. What about you?

Andrew said...

I can't actually remember the details of any of the stories from "I, Robot". The last couple of science fiction stories I read were "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress", "Stranger in a Strange Land", and "Starship Troopers" - all by Robert Heinlein.