Final Friday Ramble, with Narcissistic Allegorical Musings

Yes, it's been a slow Friday at work. In case you were wondering, for some odd reason.



Today was Music Theory day, and, as always, it was quite the enjoyable lesson. I am in kind of a frustrating phase of Music Theory right now. No, "frustrating" is not the right word.



Learning how to do something, of course, takes a combination of actually doing things (practice), and absorbing things. Right now I'm absorbing. I've learned a few concepts and can rudimentarily (?) apply them. That's good. But now I feel a need to study things that have already been written, from chorales and hymns to my current piano pieces, and observe how different composers and arrangers used the tools I'm learning in order to create their art.



It's fun, but it's ... well, it's absorbing. It's the kind of thing that makes me want to go plant myself in a coffee shop for four hours and just focus. It's hard to study theory for fifteen minutes here, or a half-hour before bed there, which is the way most of the tasks in my multi-tasking life typically get done. Music theory requires deep learning rather than broad learning right now, and I'm really going to have to force myself to make time for it. Somehow, I need to work those three- and four-hour stretches of time into my life. Or at least one- to two-hour stretches, the way I do with piano.



And I want to fast-forward all this necessary learning so I can dive in and begin writing things. Oh, I could start writing things now, and I actually have an etude-sort of "piece" in mind. But I feel like I need to get more comfortable with the concepts first--kind of like wanting to make sure I'm dressed appropriately before heading out into below-freezing weather.



Oh my, I'm Little Miss Metaphor these days.



Or would I be Miss Simile?



I finished reading The Pilgrim's Regress by C.S. Lewis last night. Whew. That's another "deep learning" book ... I read it in about four days, but it's one of those books you could on which you could take an entire college course and still not get the half of it. So that's definitely going to go on the "read again" bookshelf. But first I want to read Surprised by Joy--Lewis's "spiritual autobiography."



The Pilgrim's Regress is basically an allegory, similar to Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, of Lewis's spiritual journey, which ended with an embrace of Christianity. I think that reading Surprised by Joy will give me more insight into The Pilgrim's Regress.



And now I have this urge to write my life history as allegory. My main characters could be Depression and Narcissism. And Self-Forgetfulness. And Slumber. And Contemplation. And ... hey, this is kind of fun to think about!



I'm sure it is my Narcissism character who, right now, is telling me to write the allegory. But I just might do it anyway. Perhaps it would yield an insight or two. (Who am I kidding ... if I can't find time to do Music Theory, how am I ever going to find time to write an allegory?)



Hmm, Insight. Maybe that could be another character. And Multi-task. She'll constantly be spinning plates and breaking them. And her constant companions will be Frustration and Fatigue. Oh, and Self-Important.



Is it time to go home yet? Would you read an allegory with a character named "Exploding Brain"?

Comments

Popular Posts