Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Tonight's The Night! and Other Magical Thoughts

I really hate that I'm excited about this.



Tonight is the season premiere of Law and Order: SVU. Somehow, somehow, I'm going to manage to meet with some poetry enthusiasts at 6:00, attend the "Let's Talk About It" book discussion group at the library at 7:00, practice piano at 8:30, spend quality time with Dan AND watch Law and Order: SVU from 10:00 to 11:00, and read more Harry Potter. Hm, looks like Harry will have to take up the 11:00-to-whenever slot. As usual.



Speaking of Harry Potter, I really need to learn that trick Hermione used ... you know, the one that allows you to be two places at once so you can get twice as much accomplished. Yeah, that one.



This is because Harry Potter has disrupted, once again, my sleep patterns. I can't pick the book up and "just read a few pages before I go to sleep." Oh, no. I have to read large chunks of it. I stay up until 1:00 a.m. reading, when my normal bedtime is 10:00 (except on Law and Order: SVU nights, I suppose). This is precisely why I waited until vacation to read Book Five--I needed to be able to stay up late and not have to worry about work responsibilities. Unfortunately, I didn't get started until late Saturday at the end of vacation.



It was certainly easier when I read Books One through Four. I'd just finished my AT thru-hike and hadn't yet started back to work. Spent a week and a half basking in my centrally heated home, reading, reading, and reading. Stayed up until 3:00 a.m. reading Book Four because I was too scared to go to sleep. But those were the days when I didn't have to go to work.



Of course, now I have to re-read the first four. It's been nearly four years since I've read them, and the author keeps referring to things that happened in previous books--things I only half-remember. So I need to re-read them all, and then probably read Book Five again. I thought, "Now that's really silly, to want to read them all AGAIN, just so one can have an organic continuity to one's reading experience."



But then, last night on AOL, Dan was chatting with our niece, Samantha, who asked if I'd read the latest Harry Potter yet. He told her I was in the middle of it, and she told him that she'd already read it, but then she'd re-read the first four before reading Book Five again.



Dan was amazed. It amazes him--and many people--that kids like Samantha so willingly and enjoyably plow through these very thick and sometimes disturbing books. Of course, I had to explain to him the whole thing about continuity. Combined, of course, with the sheer joy and adventure of reading.



Those grown-ups just don't get it, sometimes.



Some of 'em do. Me 'n' my friend Staci (Boudreaux, not Hebert) (can you tell I'm from Louisiana?) once decided what House all of our co-workers would be in at Hogwarts. She was a Hufflepuff. I was a Gryffindor. Ted was a Slytherin (and proud of it). Most folks were Ravenclaw 'cause they were so smart. What are you? Find out here!



I think I'll be a children's librarian when I grow up. Or a teacher of reading. Or a story-writer. Or a hobo. Not a technical writer. That's a muggle job if there ever was one.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a Gryffindor too!

    Cousin Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that they have translated the first Harry Potter book into both Latin and Ancient Greek? Can you imagine? What sort of person reads Harry Potter in a dead language, please tell me?

    I can't wait for book six!

    Awfully fondly,
    Amy Kellam
    (now known to everyone else as Amy Powers)

    ReplyDelete