Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Speaking of Re-reading Good Books ...

Here's an MSNBC article from several months ago on the books that many people like to read more than once. Some of my favorites are included in that article.



Here are some of mine:



War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (I just love to sink into this one every few years.)



Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (When I first completed this book, I threw it across the room in anger. A few minutes later, I picked it up and immediately began to re-read it)



Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien (This one needs no explanation.)



Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (Neither does this one.)



Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (This is another favorite childhood book that I, and my cousin Veronica, still enjoy reading.)



To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (I just love this one. Always have.)



Twelfth Night, Richard II, and a handful of other Shakespeare plays



Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig (one of those thinkin' books)



The Second Coming by Walker Percy (about a crazy music student from Mary Baldwin College who escapes the mental hospital and takes up residence in an old abandoned greenhouse in North Carolina. For some reason, I identify with her.)



There are more ... I'll write them down when I think of them.



Meanwhile, I'd love to hear what books my blog readers tend to read over and over again. There is something special about those books that keep drawing us back, even after we know the stories as if they were our own lives. Anyone? Anyone?

3 comments:

  1. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle
    Up the Down Staircase by Bel Kaufman
    One Child by Torey Hayden (or anything by Torey Hayden, really. Reminds me of what I wanted to be when I grew up)
    Nasty People: How To Stop Being Hurt by Them Without Becoming One Of Them by Jay Carter (actually, I read this a whole lot more when I worked around a bunch of alcoholics)
    50 Hikes In Louisiana by Janina Baxley (If you don't have it yet, this is one I definitely recommend)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, that was Cousin Stacey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! This is cousin shorty...I forgot if I have an account...Anyway! I love books, and here are some of my faves: "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret" by Judy Blume. I must've read this book like, 20 times. Judy Blume is a genius! The Harry Potter books are also excellent for reading and re-reading. My true dorky intellectual challenge book is "Wuthering Heights." I read the book in high school, saw the movie, read the book immediately thereafter, and conquered it yet again in college. It's a tough, depressing, old story but for some reason, I feel I've accomplished something when I'm done. And Lanky, I kinda agree about "Tess." We had to read it, and I was thoroughly agitated with it...haven't picked it up since, though. "The Chronicles of Narnia" was delicious, I have to agree...think I read that one twice...Paolo Coehlo (I always misspell his name) is a fantastic tale-weaver, and his stories are relatively short! You can read and re-read to your heart's delight. Start with "The Alchemist."

    By the way, if anyone feels they need a creative boost, and want to read pictures instead of just words, I encourage y'all to check out Sabrina Ward Harrison's books: "Spilling Open" (this one was the first, with a foreward by Sark, and the best), "Brave On The Rocks," and her latest, "Messy Thrilling Life." She's a 26-year old painter, photographer and journalist livin' boho like in Berkeley and a true inspiration.

    ReplyDelete