Monday, September 27, 2004

SOMEBODY Lied, Sirius Died

Note: I don't remember who SOMBODY is. In fact, I believe I had the conversation below with several people.

ME: How did you like Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix?

SOMEBODY: "It was good. No one dies this time."

In Book 4, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Cedric Diggory dies. It's really sad. So, I was kind of glad to hear that no one dies in The Order of the Phoenix.

So, toward the end of the book, when Harry's beloved godfather, Sirius, is sent to his death by Death Eaters, I didn't get upset. SOMEBODY told me that no one dies in this book. So, since I believed SOMEBODY, I assumed that Sirius wasn't really dead. I figured the author just wanted us to THINK he's dead.

So I didn't grieve. I waited patiently for Sirius to reappear. So did Harry (he thought he'd see Sirius again, too). Then the book ended. No Sirius.

I feel cheated. I didn't get emotionally affected when Sirius died, and I should have. I don't feel like I grieved him properly. And now the book is over, another year at Hogwarts has ended, and I'm back in my black-and-white Muggle world of corporate America. And I can't grieve.

Poor Sirius. Poor Harry. I did get all weepy and emotional when Harry sits by the lake for a long time, thinking about all that has happened, and wipes his face on his sleeve when he walks away from it.

Book 6, please hurry up!! I can't wait much longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment