Wednesday, September 1, 2004

My Sleepy Haze, and A Poem for Today

Stayed up too late last night. Watched as the convention started out strong, then just sort of limped its way to the end. I still think Laura Bush is very cool and wonderful and strong, though I kind of think her daughters should have been seen and not heard. Ack. I was kind of embarrassed for them. Of course, they're only 22. But geez ... who cares if the Prez and his wife call each other "Bushie"? Not me, that's who. And I didn't get half the jokes. Either it's my bad hearing, or I'm even more out-of-touch with the pop-culture scene than I was at age 22. (Probably the latter. And I was pretty out-of-touch then.)



Of course, I was half-asleep by the time they came on. It's hard to watch something that starts at 10:00 p.m. when you're used to being in bed by 9:00. All I could think, through the haze of my fatigue, was, "I stayed awake for this?"



But Laura Bush sure seems like such a nice, smart lady, doesn't she? I thought it was effective when she talked, from experience, about the anguishing decisions that a president has to make.



Anyway, it's going to be a busy, non-blogging day at work, so I thought I'd share with y'all one of my favorite poems.

4 comments:

  1. Whew, I thought I was the only cringing in embarrassment for the Bush daughters. I hope your friend Jan didn't have anything to do with their speechwriting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, Jan did all the financial stuff. So we can't blame it on her!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bush daughter #1: Tee-hee tee-hee.

    Bush daughter #2: ................

    Bush daughter #1: Tee-hee tee-hee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm assuming Bush daughter #1 is the blonde?

    ReplyDelete