Friday, August 6, 2004

God Bless Mama, an' Daddy, an' the Kitty, an' NyQuil ...

Yes, NyQuil. Ah yes, folks, I was forced into the dark and sordid world of illicit drug use last night. I've been spending the last few weeks with my old buddy N. Somnia, and finally decided I needed some sleep. Took a swig of NyQuil and conked out for ten glorious hours ... aaaahhhhhh. I feel like a new woman today.



Dan has been in Iowa at the National Order of the Arrow Conference (a Boy Scout thing) for the past week, and he gets back home today. Thank goodness. It's been very lonely without him. As much as I love my solitude, it just doesn't feel right when he's not around. I've had to make do with using the cats as snuggle partners. They're fine, but they don't compare to the ultimate snuggling champion himself.



Speaking of Dan, it looks like his favorite performer, Bruce Springsteen, has been in the news of late. And he's come out for the "other" presidential candidate. Hmmm. As my sister said on the phone last night, "Wonder if Dan's so crazy about Bruce NOW?" :-) (I asked him. He is.)



I'm not, but it has nothing to do with politics. Bruce Springsteen assaulted my good ear.



I had always dreamed of seeing Bruce in concert. He came to Baton Rouge in 1985 when on his "Born in the U.S.A." tour. My fellow ninth-graders Mary Boagni and Jeff Hastings got to go, but I didn't. Hardly anyone else did, in fact, because the concert sold out so fast. So I swallered my jealousy like a capful of NyQuil and spent the next 17 years hoping another "Bruce" opportunity would present itself.



Finally, in 2002, one did. I got tickets to see him in Charlotte. Several tickets, in fact! They cost something like $80 each, but I didn't care. This was Springsteen!! So, in December 2002, I went with Dan, Megan, and John G. Young (Dan's friend and later our best man) to see BRRRUUUUUUUUUUUCE!! BRRRUUUUUUUUUUUCE!! BRRRUUUUUUUUUUUCE!! BRRRUUUUUUUUUUUCE!! BRRRUUUUUUUUUUUCE!!



Well.



That was the LOUDEST concert I have ever been to. It didn't help that we were sitting near the speakers. Maybe I sound really OLD here, but I don't see how everyone in that band isn't completely deaf by now. I had my fingers in BOTH my ears the whole time. Dan, John G. Young, and Megan seemed to be enjoying themselves, but all I could think was, "How can they stand it?" And it's not like I've never been to a rock concert!



Now, this is weird, but it really happens: some people who have severe hearing loss (like me) also suffer acute, greater-than-average sensitivity to loud noises. It doesn't make sense. You'd think that loud noises wouldn't bother us, since we can't hear anything anyway, but they do!



I survived, and now I can say I've seen Bruce Springsteen in concert. When he comes back this way, Dan and John G. Young can go see him yet again (they've already seen him about ten times), but I'll stay home and listen to his CDs or something. Or Bach. But I don't need to see--or hear (if you can call it that)--Bruce again. It was on my "one-of-these-days" list, and now it's crossed off, and I can go on with my life.



Ah yes ... the old "One-of-These-Days" list ... I'll devote an entire post to that. One of these days!

1 comment:

  1. Members of the band wear earplugs all the time. They'd definitely be deaf otherwise. :)

    Cousin Stacey

    ReplyDelete