Thursday, July 29, 2004

Welcome me, all ye who care ...

This is the way I always start my notebook. It started with one of my very first notebooks, when I was fourteen or so. I thought it sounded very literary at the time. Now I don't really think anything of it ... but still, it shows up at the beginning of every notebook, so here it is.

Today is Thursday, and I'll be leaving work soon. I'm a technical writer by trade, but what I *really* do is write, hike, and make music.

WRITING: I'm the author of 50 Hikes in Louisiana, as well as lots of un-published stuff (all written in notebooks). I'm hoping to be the author of more published stuff in the future. For now, I'm writing a monthly hiking column for "Adventure in the Smokies" (a publication by The Enterprise Mountaineer), and am working slowly but steadily on a small tome to be titled "Hiking Haywood County."

HIKING: I enjoy hiking and occasionally go on long hikes. I've made many of my friends through the hiking community, which is sort of a subculture in itself. If you're interested, my journals for both my Appalachian Trail and Pinhoti Trail thru-hikes are posted on the Web.

MAKING MUSIC: I am an amateur pianist and composer. I started playing piano when I was 4, but never considered a music career, probably because I have severe hearing loss in both ears. Still, I love music, and it continues to be a big part of my life. Currently, I'm taking piano lessons from an awesome pianist here in Asheville, and hope to put together a recital of my own within the next year or two.

OK, that's all for now. It's 4:40 p.m., and almost time to leave work (it's been a slow day). That's my intro. More tomorrow, I promise.

2 comments:

  1. This here's Cousin Stacey! Welcome to blogland! Wahoo, another website on the family ring! This is exciting. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fruitful blog. I favor your site and I shall
    return to it! I go to sites like this when I get the
    chance, and find blog just like this.
    In my spare time I will look for your ny new york house cleaning blog.

    ReplyDelete