Friday, July 30, 2004

Adventures in Technical Writing, Part I

Today I’m writing documentation for a software application that allows public safety personnel to fill out electronic forms. Say you’re a police officer and are giving someone a traffic ticket. You would fill out the ticket electronically using this software. Ultimately, the information you enter gets transferred wirelessly and dumped into a big-daddy records management system application.



That application, in turn, can tell you all kinds of things: if the person who got the ticket was a witness to a crime three years ago, it’ll tell you. If the person who got the ticket is associated with a gang, it’ll tell you. Heck, if the person who got the ticket thinks impure thoughts while watching old “Laverne and Shirley” re-runs, it’ll probably tell you. This system stores a LOT of stuff. I oughta know … I wrote the documentation for it, too. Three hundred and fifty pages, baby!



And who said technical writing is boring?



(Me? Did I say that?)



I’d better go now.

6 comments:

  1. Your blog is great! It's hard to find blogs with good content and people talking about technical writing these days! I have a secret technical writing exposed if you want to come check it out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you're blog is full of good info. It's getting hard to find blogs with useful content and people talking about technical writing these days. I have just started my Latest technical writing news blog and would really appreciate you coming by - thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the content on your blog about technical writing will be back very frequently! I actually have my own technical writing exposed blog with all kinds of stuff in it. You�re welcome to com by

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found a lot of useful info about Technical Writing on your blog - thank you. I also have a new Technical Writing Tips blog - please click over and have a look

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work on your blog - it was very enlightening. You've got a lot of useful info on there about Technical Writing so I've bookmarked your site so I don't lose it. I'm doing a lot of research on Technical Writing Exposed and have just started a new blog - I'd really appreciate your comments

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent blog.  I go though the web in search of
    blogs like this one. Its so good, that I plan on
    returning to its site!
    In my spare time I will look for your nv nevada house cleaning blog.

    ReplyDelete